St. Martinís traces its roots to the post-Civil War
era. The Church of the Good Shepherd in Villanova
agreed to hold services in Radnor near the train station.
In 1877 land was purchased for a new mission and St.
Martinís cornerstone was laid in 1880. Construction
on the beautiful building was completed in 1888.
Martinís Reaches Out
In 1890 St. Martinís founded Ithan Chapel now Christ
Church and located on Conestoga Road. The two congregations
continued a close mission relationship until 1956
when Christ Church became an independent parish.
St. Martinís grew rapidly as the western suburbs of
Philadelphia were developed. The church was expanded
twice and the Fox House next door provided room for
youth activities. In 1959 the parish purchased the
Bolingbroke Mansion and the Carriage House. Fox House
was sold and Bolingbroke was renovated to provide
for meetings and educational space.
The decades of the 1970ís and 1980ís brought many
changes to the nation and to the liturgy and worship
of the Episcopal Church. Facing a new Prayer Book
and women priests and bishops, many churches experienced
declining membership and an aging population. Wise
and compassionate leadership guided St. Martinís through
those years. New programs providing for outreach and
fellowship kept the parish spirit alive.
a New Century
In 2010 the congregation adopted a Strategic Plan
that is moving us into a faithful and responsible
future of growth, service and mission. While challenges
surely remain, the commitment of the parish family
is strong. St. Martinís invites you to join us as
we listen to God and to each other. We are confident
that our historic calling to worship Christ, to love
one another and to serve our neighbors near and far
is finding new expression in our day and time.